2020 – 2021 Mapping with Drones Workshop
Location: Virtual (Zoom)!!!
What: 3-day workshop. Mapping with Drones
Who: Extension agents / specialists, Private Industry, Natural resource professionals, Planning professionals, Public safety professionals, Agricultural operators, Educators, Realtors, Inspection teams, etc.
Topic: Mapping with Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS)
Online Registration: https://tinyurl.com/Drone2021 (credit card or e-check payments accepted)
When*: This is a 2.5 day workshop. Four workshop options are available:
- December 7 – 9, 2020
- January 5-7, 2021
- Feb. 23 – 25, 2021
- March 8 – 10, 2021
*General agenda: Day #1, 9:00 – 5:00 | Day #2, 9:00 – 5:00 | Day #3, 9:00 – 2:00 with breaks for coffee & lunch
Cost: General registration for the 3-day Mapping with Drones Workshop is $150. Virginia Cooperative Extension Agents are eligible for a discounted registration cost of $25 (first come, first serve). Workshop materials & supplies will be mailed to participants. Since mailing books and other handout material will be mailed to each participant, participants are encouraged to complete the registration process (and payment) at least 1 month in advance of each workshop. Major credit cards or e-check payment options are accepted via Virginia Tech’s secure online system.
Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) are permeating many sectors of industry, and are increasingly being employed as data collection platforms to support of an array of applications. Applications span disciplines and industries and can include: planning, natural resource management, marketing, inspection of structures, agricultural production, permitting, and public safety. Specific sensors can be used to tailor application needs. Flights can be scheduled and conducted under short notice to accommodate weather, and temporal considerations. sUAS operations support efficient workflows and provide opportunities for ‘data on demand’.
This is an intensive, yet introductory level workshop, and can be considered a ‘drone boot camp’. No previous knowledge or experience with drones, sUAS, or GIS is required. This 3-day workshop will provide participants with the following:
- An understanding of FAA and sUAS lingo;
- A comprehensive knowledge of current federal commercial sUAS regulations;
- In-depth discussions of sUAS platforms (fixed wing and multi-rotor), sensors (including true color, NIR, multispectral, thermal), and associated applications;
- sUAS project workflows, including;
- Compliance with FAA regulations and safe practices;
- An overview of sUAS operation planning software, check sheets, and smartphone apps;
- A comprehensive presentation and demonstration of image processing software techniques and options (image mosaics, NDVI, etc.
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will:
- be prepared to take (and pass) the FAA’s Remote Pilot Knowledge Test (aka Part 107);
- have the knowledge to be able to identify applications that may be appropriate for sUAS data collection;
- understand the steps required to plan, conduct, and document a commercial sUAS operation safely and legally;
- be able to identify suitable platforms and sensors to support their application needs;
- generate image mosaics, compatible with numerous software applications (including GIS, remote sensing, etc.) using drone imagery.
Online registration is required & available from here https://tinyurl.com/Drone2021 (major credit cards & e-check are accepted).
- After you submit your online registration, you will receive further information about the workshop (login information, etc.).
- All workshops will be conducted through ZOOM.
- Space is limited.
- There is a limited number of subsidized registrations for VCE agents.
- Questions associated with the workshop should be directed to John McGee (email@example.com) or Daniel Cross (firstname.lastname@example.org).