sUAS Operational Resources
Drone Instructional Tutorials are available on the Educational Resources Webpage.
DACUM (Developing a Curriculum): A DACUM stands for Defining a Curriculum. A DACUM consists of a focus group of industry experts and a certified DACUM vacillator. Through storyboarding, the focus group identifies the major tasks and duties associated with particular professions. The GeoTEd project team, and affiliated partners have spearheaded several sUAS DACUM to support technician-level geospatial education and workforce development to support emerging economic opportunities across Virginia’s communities. Several sUAS and Autonomous Systems DACUM can be accessed from the GeoTEd-UAS Website.
Drone Software & Apps
Check out our extensive list of sUAS flight planning and image processing software options and apps on the Software and App Webpage (down towards the bottom of the page).
Examples of Check Sheets and other Documents
None of these documents are ‘required’ but they can be used (and modified) to promote best sUAS management practices, and could be key in the event of an unfortunate crash and follow-up report to the FAA or NTSB. In addition, check sheets are just a good idea if your memory is anything like mine…
- Battery Log – The battery is the powerhouse of your drone. A flawed battery will cause your drone performance to decline (at best) or can result in catastrophic flight failure. Keeping a record of your battery cycles and overall performance over time is just a good idea.
- Flight Log – flight logs are important when applying for jobs, or FAA waivers and reporting
- Drone Repair & Maintenance Log – this document can be used to record repairs to your drone. This is especially useful if you are using multiple drones, or have multiple people using a single drone.
- sUAS Project Checklist – There are a lot of steps involved with getting an sUAS project off the ground. This is a template that we reference for some of our projects. Feel free to modify it for your unique circumstances.
- Check sheet – Here is a simpler version of a check sheet (specifically for a Mavic, but can be modified for other platforms)
Operating Drones on VT’s Campus
- VT UAS policy If you intend to operate an sUAS on campus property (includes campus and AREC’s), then you’d better read this first! Note that this link will also direct you to policies associated with the VT Drone Park, Operating in AREC’s / Other university owned property, and Kentland Farm.
- Kentland Farm sUAS Operations – If you are interested in working out at Kentland Farm, then you will need to make a notification on the calendar.