On this page
Books and eBooks
The Virginia Geospatial Extension Program, in partnership VirginiaView, and professional colleagues, has produced several remote sensing tutorials that are available for free through Kindle Unlimited (otherwise, eBooks are $3.99). Hardcopy books are available through Amazon as well. Current offerings include:
Parece, McGee, & Campbell. (2019). Working with Remote Sensing with ArcGIS Pro. Amazon Press. 412 pages.
- Parece, Campbell, & McGee. (2017). Remote Sensing Analysis in an ArcMap Environment: 2nd Edition. Amazon Press. 269 pages.
- Parece, T., McGee, J. A., & Campbell, J. (2017). Online Geospatial Resources to Support STEM Instruction. In STEM and GIS in Higher Education. (Revised edition ed., pp. 75-94). Redlands, CA: Esri Press. Retrieved from http://www.esri.com/
- Parece, Campbell, & McGee. (2015). Introduction to Remote Sensing in an ArcMap Environment. Amazon Press. 255 pages.
- Parece, McGee, & Campbell. (2016). Working with Lidar Using ArcGIS Desktop (Vol. 1, 1 ed.). Amazon Press. P. 333.
McGee, J. & Campbell, J. (2019). The sUAS Educational Frontier: Mapping an Educational Pathway for the Future Workforce. In J.B. Sharma (Ed.). Applications of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Best Practices and Case Studies (pp. 57-80). Taylor & Francis.
- Bradt, S., & McGee, J. (2018). The National Extension Web-mapping Tool: From Data Exploration and Discovery to Decision Making. Journal of Extension. 56(5): Article # 5TOT4.
- McGee, J. (2017). Unmanned Aircraft Systems for Natural Resource Managers. Virginia Forests, LXXIII(3), 6-11.
- Parece, T., McGee, J., & Campbell, J. (2015). On-Line Geospatial Resources to Support STEM Instruction. In D. Cowen (Ed.), STEM and GIS in Higher Education (pp. 75-94). Redlands, CA: ESRI Press.
- Parece, T., McGee, J., Campbell, J. B., & Wynne, R. H. (2015). Virginia’s Efforts to Expand Learning Geospatial Technologies Across the Educational Spectrum. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 81(3), 177-185.
- McGee, John and Kirwan, Jeff. (2010). The Sky’s the Limit: Integrating Geospatial Tools with Pre-College Youth Education. Journal of Extension. 48(1).
- Wiseman, Eric and McGee, John. (2010). Taking Stock: Assessing Urban Forests to Inform Policy and Management. Virginia Forests. LXV(4): 4-7.
- Campbell, James B. (2008). GloVis as a Resource for Teaching Geographic Content and Concepts. Journal of Geography 106: 239–251
- Access Virginia’s Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) Website, and learn more about how Virginia Tech and other partners are using remote sensing to assess Virginia’s urban forest resources.